I havent written in a really long time. Mostly because I have been very busy.
A couple weekends ago I went to the Weenan Game Reserve with my counselors Ray and Carol. We also went with a girl named Amy who is an ambassadorial student from Houston. (means she's going to University here). Amy and I became pretty close friends and we plan to be travel buddies from now on going different places in South Africa that South Africans think are boring! At the game reserve Amy and I woke up early one morning to look at all the zebras across the (dry) riverbed and were able to get pretty close. We had a lot of fun going on game drives and we were able to see Giraffe, Rhino, Ostritch, more zebra, warthog, and Kudu. Maybe more, i cant remember.
After that weekend school just went back to usual for a couple weeks and then on Friday it was the end of term so we all got out at noon and had the whole next week (this week) off! Friday was the day i got my hair cut. Its very short now, just past my shoulders! After that i came back and me, my host mom and 2 sisters went swimming in our pool all afternoon. Then Joanne and I made plans to go out that night and have fun with friends, so we did and celebrated the end of term.
The next morning was outbound orientation. This was where i met Jaryd, a kid who is outbound to Traverse City in January! It was so exciting. He seems very nice and knows how to snowboard so that will work in his favour. Orientation was pretty boring though, and it was all for outbounds- travel arrangements etc... stuff I've already been through. We (when i say we i mean the 3 americans- Colleen, Anne, and I) sat through the first half, but for the second half Ray and Carol took Colleen and I to the flea market across the street. It was really cool, very much like the beachfront but a little up-market. I didnt get anything except a pair of handmade earrings that were about 5 rand, which is like 80 cents US. After that we went back to orientation and they were just finishing up, and then we had a Braai and I was just able to talk to all the inbounds about what they've been up to.
When we left, Anne came with us, and stayed the night here at my host family's house. We (anne, Jo and I) ended up going to dinner and to see a movie at Pavillion- I am embarrassed to say it was "Bratz!" and then went to milky lane for ice cream. When we got home we went to sleep!
The Next day we went to my "uncle" clive's house for a traditional South African lunch, but i forget what its called. Its like 'pop and sauce' or something. The whole family was there, and Anne and I, so i got to meet Jackie's side of the family. They were all very nice.
We got home at around 5 or so and watched Idols and then Jackie and Dave took Anne home back to Umhlanga, where she lives. Jo and I just watched some Austrailian primetime soap called 'Home and Away' which was actually pretty good.
On monday my host family took me to a place called PheZulu, which is a safari game park. We started by going to the Crocidile park where we saw all the crocidiles, some of them huge and over a hundred years old. They also have a part which is dedicated to snakes so i saw all of them too. Then we went to these little traditional Zulu huts where Zulu people taught us what it was like in the old days when they used to live in tribes together. well, some of them still do, they're called townships, and you see them a lot when you drive out into the country. They also put on a show for us with dancing and singing, and a little skit but it was all in Zulu so i only understood a few words.
When we got home Joanne and I went shopping at Pavillionfor a while and then Dave dropped me off at my friend Tazra's house on the way home. We had a DVD night and I just spent the night there. The next day (yesterday) we didnt do much except download some music of mine onto her computer and watch more DVDs. She made me french toast in the morning and made me eat one peice with ketchup and another with maple syrup and cheddar cheese!! I know it sounds really gross but it was actually good. Then we decided to walk to spar so we could get stuff to make chocolate chip cookies. We came home and made them and watched yet another DVD... Then Jackie came to pick me up and I came home to take a bath before we went out to this concert put on by the westville theatre club. It was pretty good, just a compellation of songs and flashy costumes. We got home late and i went to to bed!
That brings me to today. Today I woke up, ate breakfast, and watched cartoons with my host sister (catherine). We're going to Ushaka Marine world in a few minutes, which is an aquarium that ive never been to. I think that it will be pretty cool.
Thats all for now, so i hope that is a sufficient update, and I'll try to post soon.
~Emma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment